GLSE Undergraduate Summer Research Project Studentships
Graduate and Life Sciences Education, Faculty of Medicine will award 7 annual summer research project studentships per summer to support third or fourth year major and/or specialist students in our Basic Science departments and in Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology. Non-University of Toronto students should have equivalent qualifications. This is to provide mentored research opportunities for undergraduate students who undertake in depth study in one of our life sciences programs of study. Each department receives one studentship per summer to be awarded to a student the department selects based on excellent academic merit and interest in future graduate training. The award carries a value of $4,800 each.
This is an 18 full week summer program, normally between May 1 to August 31, 2017.
- Students must have successfully completed a term in a full-time undergraduate program directly prior to the award period.
- University of Toronto students must be enrolled in a third or fourth year major and/or specialist in the Faculty of Medicine Basic Science departments and Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology.
- University of Toronto and non-University of Toronto students may be considered, including international students (with valid student visa for the full summer work term).
- Student must have obtained a cumulative cGPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students may be considered by only one application to this program.
- Supervisors can be named as primary supervisor for only one application through one unit to this Program.
- Be engaged on a full-time basis in research activities under the direction of an eligible supervisor
- Interest in future graduate training
- Has not started a program of graduate studies
In addition to these conditions, the submission should have the following attributes
- A designated faculty member appointed as coordinator of the summer program for each department or group.
- A continuity of supervision for each student for the duration of the summer program.
- An academic structure with clear accountability at the end of the summer program. An activity report on the research experience outlining the research project is to be submitted at the end of the award period no later than September 29, 2017 to Natasha Lowe.
Deadline: March 22, 2017
Application:2017 GLSE Application.pdf (295.64 KB)
In May an award letter to the Undergraduate Coordinator with a copy to the student, Faculty Supervisor, Department Chair. The funds will be transferred in May to the departments’ FIS account.