Undergraduate Summer Research Awards
2017 Undergraduate Summer Research Awards (UROP)
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO UROP COMMITTEE GUIDELINES
Departmental Deadline: Wednesday, Marach 22, 2017 - 4 p.m.
Supervisor must be in the Department of Physiology
In accordance with its mandate and with the aim to foster advanced research experiences for undergraduate students at the University of Toronto, an Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) was established in 1973.
Support is set at $2,000 per student. The students should be guaranteed at least an additional $2,000 in compensation from other sources managed by the sponsoring department / centre / institute / program, and are expected to engage in full-time research for at least 12 weeks.
Total UROP Awards: 15. The following student eligibility criteria are in effect for the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program.
- Students must have successfully completed a term in a full-time undergraduate program directly prior to the award period.
- Students who have completed their undergraduate program are not eligible, unless they have been accepted into an undergraduate professional program (medical undergraduate degree program).
- Students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate professional program (medical undergraduate degree program) are eligible to apply.
- University of Toronto and non-University of Toronto students may apply, including international students.
- Students may submit only one application to this Program. Departure from this rule will result in the application being accorded a lower priority or even denied.
- Supervisors can be named as primary supervisor for only one application through one unit to this Program. Departure from this rule could result in the application being accorded a lower priority or even denied.
Participating departments are responsible for clarifying eligibility criteria 4 and 5 with both students and faculty members. This is especially critical where departmental programs include funding from other central sources and/or their program name does not refer to the Life Sciences (Committee), as students and supervisors may genuinely not realize they are jeopardizing their application.
In addition to these conditions, the submissions should have the following attributes:
- A designated faculty member appointed as coordinator of the summer program for each department or group.
- A continuity of supervision for each student for the duration of the summer program.
- An academic structure with clear accountability at the end of the summer program, e.g. required seminar presentations of students' own work.
- A plan for encouraging regular interaction of the students with each other, with graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, research associates and assistants, and other investigators. All or part of the program should be conducted in a single geographic location to give maximum opportunity for contact between researchers and students.
- Each student receiving stipend support should have a minimum B+ average in the two terms of undergraduate studies immediately preceding acceptance of the award.
- Recruitment of students should include outreach beyond the physical location of the department.
Research involving the use of human subjects, vertebrate animals or biohazardous materials must be undertaken with the prior written approval of the appropriate University Review Committee. It will be the responsibility of the supervisors and administering department to ensure that their students are covered by the appropriate protocols.
INTERNAL DEPARTMENTAL DEADLINE has been set for March 22, 2017. Please submit application and copy of transcript to the attention of Eva Eng, 1 King's College Circle, Medical Sciences Building, room 3209 by 12:00 pm on this date.
Late applications will not be considered.
2017 UROP Application.pdf (69.37 KB)
- 5 - Cancer and Cancer related Diseases
- 2 - Cardiovascular / Heart Diseases
- 1 - Epilepsy or Muscular Dystrophy
- 5 - Kidney & Kidney Related Diseases
- 1 - Respiratory Disease
- 1 - General Medicine Health Research in other areas