NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards
NSERC USRA Program
INTERNAL DEPARTMENTAL APPLICATION DEADLINE for NSERC USRA: March 13, 2020
Physiology's quota this year is 2 awards.
Supervisor Eligiblity: supervisors no longer need to hold an active NSERC grant to supervise a USRA student.
Student Eligibility - General requirements:
- You must be at least in 2nd year and have completed at least two semesters of your undergraduate program by the start of this research experience to apply
- Students in first year who have completed two semesters are still not eligible to apply
In order to apply for NSERC USRA awards you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- be registered, as of the deadline for applications at the University, in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university
- have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least a "B- (70% or 2.7 GPA)" grade
- be able to work for all 16 weeks
In order to hold an award, you must:
- have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your bachelor's degree
- not have started a program of graduate studies in the natural sciences or engineering at any time
- be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during the tenure of the award
Please visit the NSERC USRA website for more details.
Duration: Work terms are 16 consecutive weeks from May 1st to September 30th.
The USRA provides support of $4,500, plus a minimum 25% supplement ($1,125) by the student’s research supervisor. Students must participate full time in the research lab for a complete 16-week period.
A reference number will be assigned to you after you complete Part I. Send that reference number to your supervisor as they will need this information to complete Part II. Note that handwritten applications will not be accepted.
Please complete the form below.
Please attach a pdf copy of form 202, parts 1 and 2 to your application and complete the 2020 Student-Supervisor Certification nserc_2020_student-supervisor_certification.doc (143.5 KB)
Unofficial transcript: the e-transcript or academic history report that students can generate directly from ACORN are acceptable forms of a transcript. Students must upload a PDF copy of either the academic history report/e-transcript/offical paper transcript on NSERC's online system when completing their application.
USRA Workterm at UofT: The University of Toronto administers this program in the summer term only, between May 1st and September 30th of each year and must fall on a weekday.
PHYSIOLOGY DEPARTMENTAL DEADLINE: March 13, 2020. Please submit application package to the Medical Sciences Bldg. Room 3368, Attention, Eva Eng by 12:00 p.m. on this date. Late applications will not be considered.