NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards
NSERC USRA Program
INTERNAL DEPARTMENTAL APPLICATION DEADLINE for NSERC USRA: March 18, 2021
Physiology's quota this year is 2 awards.
Supervisor Eligiblity: supervisors no longer need to hold an active NSERC grant to supervise a USRA student.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of two terms at the time of application and by the start of the work term in May.
- Awards made to Indigenous students will be in addition to your department's quota.
- As these awards are competitive, departments are strongly urged to nominate only the most deserving students who can commit to the completion of the full 16-week work term.
- Students must upload a PDF copy of either the academic history report/e-transcript/official paper transcript on NSERC’s online system when completing their application. (To ensure the authenticity of the transcript, we recommend that the Undergraduate Coordinator verify the transcript and make a PDF copy of the transcript for the eligible students to upload to the NSERC application), the e-transcript or academic history report that students can generate directly from ACORN are acceptable forms of a transcript.
- Academic supervisors should supervise students at the department where they hold their primary appointment and/or where their grants are held. Quotas are not transferrable between departments. Supervisors with cross-appointments can supervise students at those departments with the Chair’s approval.
- Start dates should not begin on a weekend/holiday and not before May 3rd, dates on all forms and nomination table should match.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Registered either full-time or part-time at the time USRA application
- Must have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least second class (a grade of "B or "B-", if applicable)
- NSERC considers anyone that meets eligibility to apply for, and hold, grant funds according to NSERC’s Eligibility Criteria for Faculty (the supervisor need not hold an active NSERC award)
- Hold, or have a firm offer of, an academic appointment at a Canadian Institution (minimum three-year position or tenure track) as of September 1, 2021
- Be in a position that requires independent research and allows supervision of HQP
NSERC On-Line System – First time users need to register:
NSERC Initial registration for new users: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/OnlineServices-ServicesEnLigne/Index_eng.asp
2021_usra_faqs.pdf (111.25 KB)
2021_usra_application_checklist.pdf (271.22 KB)
PHYSIOLOGY DEPARTMENTAL DEADLINE: March 18, 2021. Please email application package (Forms 202, part 1 & 2, student-supervisor certification and transcript) to the attention of Eva Eng @ firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 p.m. on this date. Late applications will not be considered.